Today's recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free. Prep time approx 10 minutes. Cook Time approximately 30 minutes. This is a great lunch option, too. Make a large batch and eat throughout the week.
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 white onions
3 cloves or 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
½ cup red lentils*
2 cups of water or broth**
1 – 10 oz package frozen spinach or 10 oz fresh (one bag)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups water (approximate) Depending on brand of rice
2 cups basmati rice
Directions *If you choose to use larger lentils it will increase the amount of cooking time.
**If you choose to use a broth, vegetable or chicken is suggested.
1. Saute Onion in a deep skillet over a medium heat until onions become translucent.
Add garlic and saute for another minute.
2. Add lentils and water/broth and bring to a boil then reduce to low and cover for
approximately 20 minutes until lentils reach desired tenderness.
(It may be necessary to add more fluid while cooking.)
3. Begin to cook rice.
4. If using frozen spinach: While lentils are simmering, cook frozen spinach in
5. Once lentils are desired tenderness, add spinach, salt and cumin.
6. Add additional toppings/seasonings to taste.
Today's recipe is contributed by the Fabulous WBC doula Anna Gourlay-Irons. Anna can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org