Breakfast is always a meal I struggle with! Cereal and hard boiled eggs are my stand-bys but overnight oats have been changing my life lately!
These are perfect for summer (no heat used) and you can prepare large batches and store in your fridge for the week. And they are also a great snack.
- 1/4 c old-fashioned oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 Tbsp chia seed
- 1/2 c milk of choice (almond, hemp, soy, vanilla, plain, etc)
- 1 - 2 tsp, pure maple syrup, honey or agave
- Toppings! I love to put a dollop of jam and some slivered almonds but here are a few more suggestions: banana, mango, kiwi, fresh berries, walnuts, pistachios, almonds, dry cherries, cranberries or raisins, toasted coconut, peanut butter.
- For each chia oat bowl, stir together the oats, chia milk and sweetener. Refrigerate overnight (let the chia do its magic).
- In the morning, add your favorite toppings
NOTE: I like to make 5 - 6 separate jars on Sunday night to have for the week. Mason jars work great and they're lidded so you can grab and go in the morning!
Today's recipe submitted by the fabulous Doula Sara Sandstrom. Sara can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org