Menu Monday – Bell Pepper Birds Nest
A great breakfast alternative for folks who are avoiding the extra bread!
Fresh, sweet bell peppers lighten up the usual “birds-nest” by using bell peppers in place of the fried bread slices. Leafy greens on the side provide vitamins and minerals that are so important to postpartum wellness.
This is definitely one of those anytime meals….like 3:00am when your little one is wide awake….
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (any color), cut into four 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 4 large eggs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high.
- Add bell pepper, then crack 1 egg into the middle of each pepper ring.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until egg whites are mostly set but yolks are still runny, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gently flip and cook 1 minute more for over easy.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and plate.
- Toss salad greens with 1 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper and serve alongside eggs.
The original version of recipe can be found in EVERYDAY FOOD, JUNE 2010